fishgirl182

Winger
Andrew Smith
Gameboard of the Gods
Richelle Mead
Burning Up (Berkley Sensation)
'Meljean Brook', 'Virginia Kantra', 'Angela Knight', Nalini Singh
Love and Other Perishable Items
Laura Buzo
The Orphan Master's Son

Wicked as They Come

Wicked as They Come - Delilah S. Dawson I have to be honest and say that I struggled to finish this one. While it had a really cool premise, I had trouble getting into the story and was never able to connect with any of the characters. The pacing of the book was also off, with an extremely slow start, and didn’t pick up until the middle of the book or so. Unfortunately by then, I had a lost a lot of interest and was just trying to get to the finish line. The book starts off well enough with Tish finding a locket at an estate sale. When she goes to bed, she wakes up naked in a strange world that is similar to her own but also very different. Criminy Stain is there, a mysterious stranger who claims that he cast a spell to bring her to him. Tish must learn to survive in this new, dangerous world while trying to find a permanent way back to her own world. I think my main problem was with the characters. I found Tish to be whiny and annoying for most of the book. She has two men fighting over her and I couldn’t understand why either of them was interested. Criminy Stain, is the Mad Hatter in this tale, with his magic tricks and enigmatic nature. But instead of charming, I found him to be somewhat patronizing and a little manic. And while I am sure that there are many women out there who would find Criminy swoon worthy, he did nothing for me. I do give him points though for his infinite patience when dealing with Tish. I probably would have left her on the side of the road for the bludbunnies the first chance I got. The book was also lacking in the romance department. I didn’t feel any spark or emotional connection between the two. Even the sex scenes weren’t very exciting.That’s not to say that I didn’t like anything about the book. It’s clear that Dawson is a good writer and I found the world of Blud to be very unique and imaginative. Dawson’s vivid descriptions paint a dark new world filled with terrifying, bloodthirsty (literally) creatures and ruthless Pinkies and Coppers. The idea of an oppressed vampire race is definitely interesting and I found myself wanting to know more about the history of Sang. I’d also like to learn more about how Tish’s human world and Sang are able to exist at the same time and if there are other parallel worlds. I wish this had been more to my liking but you can’t win them all, right? If you’re interested in really unique worlds and don’t mind so-so characters, you might enjoy this more than I did.