fishgirl182

Winger
Andrew Smith
Gameboard of the Gods
Richelle Mead
Burning Up (Berkley Sensation)
'Meljean Brook', 'Virginia Kantra', 'Angela Knight', Nalini Singh
Love and Other Perishable Items
Laura Buzo
The Orphan Master's Son
About Last Night - Ruthie Knox I was really surprised by how much I liked this book. I am not usually a big contemporary romance fan, but I saw an interview with author Ruthie Knox (from Bea’s Book Nook) where she talked about romance and knitting, two of my favorite things, that convinced me to give this one a try. Luckily it was still available on NetGalley and I was able to get an e-ARC of it. I am so glad I did, too. This is probably one of the best contemporary romances I’ve read all year. Sweet and funny, with great dialogue, About Last Night will leaving you wanting more of Cath and Nev and Ruthie Knox’s writing.This is one of those romances where it starts off as “just for fun,” sex with no strings, even though it’s pretty obvious to all parties that it’s not. In this case it’s Cath who keeps Nev at arm’s length. Having made some pretty big mistakes in her life, a reminder of which she tattoes onto her body, Cath is reluctant to get involved with Nev. Her instincts have always been wrong and if her feelings for Nev are any indication, he could be her biggest mistake yet. And sweet, charming Nev plays along with this game while pursuing Cath relentlessly. Let me just say that I am kind of in love with Nev. A witty Englishman with an artistic streak who’s also a beast in the bedroom? Yes, please! He’s not perfect by any means, with an uptight and overbearing family and some mommy issues, but he is pretty dreamy overall. And the love scenes are HOT! I definitely felt the chemistry between them and the sex is intense but also tender and playful at times. Cath is a more difficult character of the two. While Nev has some issues to work through, he’s not as emotionally guarded as Cath. It’s hard not to get frustrated with her as she keeps pushing Nev further and further away. She can be pretty pig headed and sometimes I felt that her actions towards Nev bordered on cruel. But hidden behind her smart mouth and attitude is a very insecure person who doesn’t believe that she deserves love or happiness. It was really interesting to see her character evolve over the course of the book and I was rooting for her and Nev to have their happily ever after. Just a brief note about the knitting. Yes, I love when my worlds collide and there’s a bit of knitting in a book. I loved the small knitting references and the fact that Cath is working on a knitting exhibit for the V&A. It’s clear that Knox knows what she’s talking about but non-knitters won’t be put off by it. I would not consider this “knit lit” but a book that happens to have some knitting references in it. Those who do knit will get a little kick out of having some insider knowledge (Tudor Roses, indeed).If you’re looking for a fun, contemporary read that still packs an emotional punch, look no further and pick up About Last Night ASAP.*I received this book free of charge from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.