fishgirl182

Winger
Andrew Smith
Gameboard of the Gods
Richelle Mead
Burning Up (Berkley Sensation)
'Meljean Brook', 'Virginia Kantra', 'Angela Knight', Nalini Singh
Love and Other Perishable Items
Laura Buzo
The Orphan Master's Son
Holiday Kisses: A Holiday Romance Collection - Jaci Burton,  Shannon Stacey,  HelenKay Dimon,  Alison Kent,  Angela James This Time Next Year by Alison Kent – 4 starsI really enjoyed this story story about two very different people who find each other during the holidays . Dillon’s a true hero, a doctor who spent a good deal of time healing people during the war in Afghan. Retired now, he continues taking care of the people on his mountain, which is how he finds Brenna after her car crashes in the snow. Dillon still has a lot of guilt over what happened and what he saw in the war and has closed himself off emotionally. Brenna’s funny and compassionate and, as the week goes on, she gets Dillon to open up about himself. With her help, Dillon begins to realize that he needs to stop blaming himself for the decisions he made and the people he couldn’t save. Only then can he get over the guilt and move on with his life. An endearing and touching romance that had me sighing at the ending, This Time Next Year was a great read.A Rare Gift by Jaci Burton – 3 starsI am usually a fan of Jaci Burton but this one didn’t have quite the impact that her stories usually have for me. I liked Calliope a lot. She’s strong and independent and I loved watching her interact with the children at the day care center. Wyatt’s extremely closed off emotionally which isn’t unusual for males in romance novels but, in this case, Calliope’s relationship as his ex’s sister has made him even more wary of pursuing a relationship with her. Wyatt was also extremely stubborn and I wanted to smack him in the head several times. I am sure Calliope felt the same way. When they finally to succumb to their attraction, it’s hot like only Jaci Burton can write it. Though ultimately satifying, this story just wasn’t as compelling as what I usually expect from Burton.It’s Not Christmas Without You by HelenKay Dimon – 4 starsThis is probably my favorite story in the anthology. Funny, sweet and totally endearing, I fell in love with both Austin and Carrie in this holiday tale about two people finding each other again. Austin is adorable as the (ex)boyfriend with a plan to woo Carrie back to their hometown. I loved his flirty and unapolgetic attitude and he had my laughing with his attempts to win Carrie back. I loved that Carrie didn’t give in to Austin right away and that she fought for her dreams and her career. There are no easy answers but Carrie and Austin work to understand each other in order to have a future together. A story about hope, understanding, and a love worth fighting for, It’s Not Christmas Without You is a wonderful story for the holidays.Mistletoe & Margaritas by Shannon Stacey – 4 starsThis is my first Shannon Stacey story but it definitely won’t be my last. Mistletoe & Margaritas is fantastic story about love and second chances. Justin’s been in love with Claire for years but kept silent because she fell in love and married his best friend Brandon. A widow of several years now, Claire still misses her husband but finds comfort in her friendship with Justin. Suddenly Claire finds her feelings for Justin veering towards a more romantic nature. I loved watching their relationship at the beginning of the story – the pizza dates and holiday traditions. It’s obvious that they both love each other but they have to deal with the guilt they have about Brandon and moving on. This emotional story about two best friends falling in love really pulled at my heartstrings and I was really rooting for Claire and Justin to find their happily ever after.I was really pleased with this collection of holiday romances. Anthologies are a great way to find new authors and that was definitely the case with this one. If you’re in the mood for a few fun, sexy and heartwarming stories to read this holiday, Holiday Kisses would make a great gift to yourself or anyone else.*An e-ARC of this book was provided by NetGalley. This, in no way, affected my opinion or review of this book.