fishgirl182

Winger
Andrew Smith
Gameboard of the Gods
Richelle Mead
Burning Up (Berkley Sensation)
'Meljean Brook', 'Virginia Kantra', 'Angela Knight', Nalini Singh
Love and Other Perishable Items
Laura Buzo
The Orphan Master's Son
The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - Aimee Bender I wanted to like this book. I really did. I mean, it has lemon cake in the title. Automatic win, right? Unfortunately the author starts out with an interesting premise but doesn't do much with it.When Rose turns 9, she suddenly finds herself with the ability to taste the emotions of the person who made the food. Her first discovery is the unbearable loneliness of her mother. Young Rose doesn't know what to make of her new skill and takes to eating processed junk food. As time goes on, she shares her ability with her brother and his friend George. After a few experiments with her new power, the author largely leaves it behind and delves into other aspects of Rose's family dynamic. The issue of her abilities emerges again some years later when Rose tastes in her mother's cooking, the beginnings of an affair. Instead of it being some kind of traumatic or emotional discovery, Rose takes it calmly and is, in fact, glad that her mother now has someone else to lavish her baked goods on as it saves her from having to taste her mother's emotions. This part bothered me because I just felt like she should have had a bigger reaction to her mother having an affair. Even years later, when she tells her mother she's known all along, it's with a cold calmness and air of indifference.Then there's her brother, Joe, who has a special ability of his own. This part is a bit creepy. After years of odd behavior, Rose finally figures out what Joe has been up to. In the end, she’s the only one who knows and she decides to keep his secret. We never find out much more about his abilities or what they mean. The fact that it’s left open ended is frustrating. We also find out that Rose's grandfather had an amazing ability as well. Seems like these weird powers run in the family. Because of her grandfather, Rose's dad barely bats an eye when he finds out about her food tasting ability. He doesn't seem to make the connection with her fit at the hospital years before or her affinity for processed foods. He understands that it makes her life difficult but he doesn't probe too much. And then we find out that he thinks he might have a skill, too, but that it has to take place in a hospital. So he has avoided hospitals all his life, even going so far as to stand in the parking lot during his children's births and illnesses. While I understand his position, seeing how hard his father's life with his skill was, I also find it extremely selfish that he might be able to help people and consciously chose not to even try.Unfortunately I found The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake to be an unsatisfying read.Though there were some interesting parts, the characters and premise were never fully developed and left too much unresolved.